I WILL PAY YOU RIGHT NOW, WOMAN BEGS MAGISTRATE

Sunday 7 June 2015

I WILL PAY YOU RIGHT NOW, WOMAN BEGS MAGISTRATE

A CONGOLESE woman who was convicted for unlawfully entering the country, broke down in court as she offered to pay the presiding magistrate cash in exchange for her freedom.


Katulusi Nzuzi (43) told Bulawayo magistrate Mr Tinashe Tashaya that he should ask her to pay him, “just like what they did at the Beitbridge border post” when she got into the country.
“Please papa I beg you, just ask me to pay you right now because I cannot afford to stay in this country up to 8 June. I am sick and I left my medication back at home in Congo,” she said.

“Papa it is not my fault that I unlawfully got in this country. Actually what happened is that I gave my passport to a girl who is working at the border there, but she did not stamp it and then she said I should pay her to proceed with my journey.”

The magistrate had just remanded Nzuzi to tomorrow and advised her to seek legal representation, but this did not go well with Nzuzi as she questioned the magistrate how she could possibly get a lawyer when she knew no one.

Nzuzi had appeared together with her co-accused, Mutobo Kalombo (45) also from DRC, facing charges of unlawfully entering, or remaining in Zimbabwe without a permit, contrary to the law as defined in Section 29 (1) (b) read with Section 2 (a) of the Immigration Act Chapter 4:02.
It is the State’s case that on 5 June detectives from Border Control Unit were on patrol in Bulawayo when they received information that a Shalom bus from South Africa was carrying illegal immigrants. The bus was intercepted and a search was conducted which led to the exposure of Nzuzi and Kalombo, who are Congolese nationals. The two’s passports were not stamped at the border post.

Detectives reacted to the information and arrested them.
In the same court, the State also alleged that on 4 June and at around 12pm immigration officials and police detectives who were in a joint operation received a tip-off to the effect that one Ibrahim Manyumba Diwoma, who is a Ugandan national, was operating a clinic for traditional methods of healing.

The team proceeded to his shop at Lobourne Building in Bulawayo and found him with patients who had paid for treatment.

Diwoma was asked to produce his work permit and he failed to do so, leading to his arrest. However, he had a valid residence permit and a Zinatha certificate.
Mr Tashaya also remanded him to tomorrow.sunday news

No comments:

Post a Comment